Thursday, September 28, 2006

Hold Tight! Stand Firm!


I received some fantastic advice today. This advice was not given to me by a friend, colleague, parent or mentor - it was given by a big old sign, which read, 'Husband and wife should talk to each other and be understanding'. No argument here, but why is this kind of advice plastered on signs all over Honkers? The government (or whoever commissioned these pearls of wisdom) obviously don't give the people here much credit, do they? I wonder how many alcoholic wife beaters have been on their way home, ready to down a bottle of JD and give the missus a knuckle sandwich, only to be stopped in their tracks by that particular sign.

"My God! What was I thinking? I'm going to go home now, make Bobo a cup of tea and ask her about her day."

There are many other examples, which usually take the form of street signs and public service announcements.

- 'To prevent Avian Flu, always wash your hands after eating meat' (that'll work)
- 'Please take care of your personal belongings'
- 'Never swim directly after eating'

and the Grand Daddy of them all....

'Always hold the handrail while travelling on the escalator'.

Not sometimes... always! You have no idea about how seriously they take escalator safety in Hong Kong. There is a team of people called the 'Escalator Safety Crew' or something like that, who travel from station to station, dressed in yellow and armed with a megaphone, and yell in commuters' ears about holding onto the handrail. As I see it, there are two major flaws with this (and a few minor ones too).

Flaw the first:
The picture they use to emphasise their point is of a person holding BOTH handrails. While this may be safe, it's also slightly annoying for the dozens of people trying to get past.

Flaw II:
Come on. We're clearly not 3 years old, and those of us who are shouldn't be travelling on those bad boys without Mummy and Daddy. Plus, they can't reach the handrail so through no fault of their own they're flying in the face of public safety.

"We understand that some passengers may be in a hurry and choose to walk on escalators rather than standing still on one step. However, our advice to all passengers is to stand firm and hold the handrails to avoid hurting themselves in the event that they lose balance while walking on the escalators," said Mr Wilfred Lau, Head of Operations of MTR Corporation.

Every time I see the Escalator Safety Crew (picture them in walking together in slow motion with rock music blaring in the background, credit sequence style) I am overwhelmed with the temptation to let go of the handrail, arms flailing and say, "Look at me, no hands!" Although if I tried that, chances are I'd take a tumble, knock 10 people over and get my fingers sucked under, causing one of the biggest escalator catastrophes Hong Kong has ever seen.

Copping an "I told you so" from the Escalator Safety Crew would be one of the most degrading and humiliating things that could ever happen, so for now I'm a good citizen who holds the handrail, looks straight ahead and waits to be told what to do next.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nick, Hayley here, Nomes told us you had a blog going on so I thought I would check it out! I am a big fan of the 'captain obvious's'!! And those elevator police sound ruthless!! Cya

Nick said...

G'day Hayley. Great to hear from you. I hope life is treating you well up in Queensland. It's funny, despite being a Victorian I feel more homesick when someone mentions Queensland. Must be the weather, ay.

Naomi said...

Now I don't normally comment on this thing, because I am too intimidated by the calibre of everyone's comments. But this topic was just to juicy to let go.

Just for your information their official name is "Escalator Safety Ambassadors". To be honest Nick I am surprised you missed this considering it is plastered across their matching fluro yellow caps, t-shirts and megaphones. There is not much in this world that grates me as much as these people. Awww I hate them!! They stand at the top of the escalators yelling into their megaphones to "hold tight" in Chinese. There is nothing quite so thrilling as seeing them spot you, NOT HOLDING THE HANDRAIL, recognise that you are Western and don't speak Chinese. A smug grin appears as they switch to English and do what they were put on this earth to do; save the stupid foreigners (perhaps they think we don't have escalators in Australia) from the mortal dangers of these contraptions. Perhaps it is almost as pathetic that it is at this point that I do the unthinkable (and what Nick is too chicken to do) and lift both my hands in the air and give them a little wave and a nod.

Anonymous said...

Can anyone else see the tiny little pic of Nick (complete with Bird Flu mask) holding up a picture of The Very Hungry Caterpillar at the bottom left of this page? What's up with that?

Nick said...

Doctor, as you are well aware I am no boffin when it comes to computers and technology in general. It's stuck there and I don't know how to get rid of it.

And Nomes, I'm sorry your highness, I'll check my facts next time!

Matthew said...

I love this post.....a truly worthy topic to blog about. But OH MY.....you are churning them out at a great knot- hey by the way, its real easy to get rid of that pic bottom left, but maybe its best to leave it for a bit 'mystery viewing' by your readers ;)


« Asia Expats Ring » ? |