Monday, September 25, 2006

The Devil Makes Crap Movies


I consider myself an open-minded and tolerant moviegoer. I'll give just about anything a go and I'll always try to like it, no matter what I my preconceptions about the film are. It was with this attitude that I sat down to watch a little film called 'The Devil Wears Prada'.

I hadn't heard much about the film, Meryl Streep was in it and it had a clever title. I thought to myself, “What could go wrong? It should be a nice little fluffy piece of entertainment to pass a couple of hours. I'm always up for taking the mickey out of fashion people. Hell, this could be a classic in the making.”

Not since 'Batman and Robin' have I been so shocked by a movie's lack of quality. It seems like the filmmakers weren't even trying to make it interesting. There was not one surprise during the whole thing; the dialogue was crappy; the characters were unlikable; it was boring; it was full of “you go girl!” Oprah-style makeover moments that make me want to puke and the worse thing is... other people liked it!

It is generally considered a good movie! I am gobsmacked. Usually my opinions on movies don't stray too far from the norm, but how could anyone (apart from teenage girls) honestly like this movie?

At least film reviewer extraordinaire Roger Ebert didn't like it. He said,

"'The Devil Wears Prada' is being positioned as a movie for grown-ups and others who know what, or who, or when, or where, Prada is. But while watching it I had the uncanny notion that... one of those books from my childhood had been filmed."

Exactly, Rog. It's not exactly a pasting, but close enough. Some of my other favourite reviewers, however, were full of praise. What's wrong with them? It's a kid's movie and not in a 'Toy Story' good way.

My advice to anyone who hasn't seen it yet – stay well away from this well marketed mound of dung. It'll leave a bitter taste in your mouth for days to come. (The movie, not the dung. Although, I guess that wouldn't taste too good either.)

3 comments:

Matthew said...

classic NICKO.....couldn't have put it better myself. I've heard similar reviews elsewhere. Don't you hate it how people somehow beef up movies that just have no light at the end of the tunnel...no logical person could possibly endorse them, and yet somehow they seem to be serious!!

Unknown said...

I saw another mound of dung just recently. Coincidently, it was also featuring Merly Streep. "A Prarie Home Companion". To sum it up in my opinion, almost 2 hours of Streepsie singing mushy country music bout her mamma and stuff. Arghhh!!! Oh my goodness, I couldn't stand it! There were a few nicer moments, like when a man died, at least it was a break from Merlys singing. Apparently I may be alone in my opinion as Olle seemed to like it. But..brrrr.. I still get all agitated just thinking of it. Brrrrrr...

Nick said...

It just goes to show that no matter how good the actor is, they can be in a terrible movie. I read an article once describing it as 'The Spacey Fallacy' or something like that. It was the belief that an actor could do no wrong. Of course, it wasn't true with Big Kev and it's not true with Mezza.


« Asia Expats Ring » ? |