Sunday, September 17, 2006

Balding? Maybe.

There comes a time in every man's life that he asks himself the dreaded question, "Am I going bald?" It's a tough question, because even if you're not sure, the best you can come up with is "maybe". I might be going bald. Perhaps I just have thin hair. Was it always this thin? Isn't it hereditary on your mother's side? Was my grandfather always bald? How old was he when he started to lose his hair? Am I eating the right foods? Is it just my imagination? My chest is getting hairier - aren't bald guys hairy? How old am I? What age is a respectable age to lose your hair? Will it hold out until I'm thirty? Surely thirty's acceptable. Who cares if I go bald, anyway? Not me. Oh, God, please don't let me lose my hair, I'm too pretty! Breathe.

Your mirror routine is altered. There are different thought patterns when doing your hair. You give a lot more thought to which type of hair gel makes your hair look thicker. You try to go for the messy look that tactically covers any receding areas. You linger a little longer in the hats section of clothing stores. You consider the shape of your head and whether it would be a good 'bald head', and all the while you're still sitting on a 'maybe'.

As you may have guessed, I'm clinging onto 'maybe' with all my might. I'm waiting for that definitive moment when I can say, "Yep, this is it, baldy. Deal with it." I haven't reached that stage yet, but I'm close. I've asked a few people to inspect my potentially balding noggen and have had mixed reactions. Nomes has already kissed it goodbye. Dad reckons I'm fine because his dad had thin hair but never went bald. I think everyone else is just being nice.

For argument's sake, let's say that I am going bald. There's a big question of how to deal with it. My first thought would be to cut it short and never worry about it again. Sure, it might take a while to get used to, but there are plenty of baldies out there who've made it work for them. In fact, bald is cool. I'm awesome. But wait, just when I've accepted this truth and can't wait for it to start falling out properly, I think about my eyesight - it's getting worse - aarrgh - bald guy with glasses, bald guy with glasses... don't think it, Nick, don't think it.... oh, no you thought it - you're George Costanza.

I just don't want to be a combover guy. I heard someone describe it once as "seaweed on a rock" and the very thought of it sends shivers down my spine. Toupee? No. Advanced Hair? No, no. Settle for being less attractive than before?.... Hmmm, Advanced Hair? I find it hard to type those words, letalone say them. I just can't see it happening.

I want to hear from the boys who've gone made the journey from 'no' to 'maybe' to 'Kojak'. Do you like it? Does it effect the way you see yourself? Can you recommend any good hat stores? Does your head ever get sunburnt? How long did it take you to accept that your forehead was getting bigger?

I realise that there probably aren't any baldies who will read this blog, so feel free to forward it to a bald friend in the noble quest for answers to these deep, deep questions.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd better get off the computer now. I've malted on the couch and can't find my glasses to clean it up. I might as well start looking for a job at Vandalay Industries.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmmm so this balding story is the longest one you've written so far? implying the level of anxiety? hmmmmmmm

Nick said...

That's right, Eri Obaasan. Hage ni nattara, honto ni zannen da. I'll be like Charlie Brown san in 'Kill Bill'.

Aaron said...

don't worry mate, i'm going through the exact same thing! i have noticed i'm getting a bit thin on top. i've been doing the whole family history, 30 is respectable, clinging to maybe etc as well. You speak the truth. While we were in Barcelona I noticed your hair was thinner and that made me feel better- maybe it was all in my head after all. I didn't realise you shared my complex.

I'm there for you, brother. Us baldies have to stick together.

Nick said...

It looks like the old 'maybe' has taken a giant leap into 'definately'! You've got it Azza. It's baldies versus the world and we're gonna lead the way, like Telly Savalas and Larry David before us.

Haydn said...

Nick, never fear. By the time you are bald.... the combover will be back "In". Actually in some areas of Australian society the combover never went out. Hair today....gone tomorrow. Give society the bird, as ego is an ugly word. Nomes will enjoy running her hands through your hat. There is much to look forward to. Baldness is ugly but you must concede....always neat. .....And when in doubt, comb over!

Nick said...

If neatness is what we were aiming for, we'd all be bald. "Hello Haydn, first of all, how are you?" Ha! I like that, though - Running her hands through my hat. I've gotta figure out how to edit the comments so it looks like I came up with that line.

Anonymous said...

welcome

Unknown said...

Baldness in Hong Kong.

I have become more and more concerned/ frightened/ despairing about the state of hair loss on HK.
Have you noticed how many men, women and children are going bald here?
What is it?
Is it something in the water?
Is it the pollution?
Is there some kind of bald virus?
Is it some kind of mange...Hong Kong mange?
Is it a bug, a parasite, a kind of head fungus that kills hair folicles?
I really want to know what it is!
It freaks me out to get on the MTR or stand in a supermarket line and just see child after child, woman after woman (of all ages) with so much scalp visible.
Your baldness may not really be YOUR baldness....
it may be something you share with every person who lives in HK.
Have a look around you and wonder if it really is normal for those high school students (boys and girls) to have such thin hair.
Oh lordy...I've got to calm myself down now.

Nick said...

Yes, I must admit, Andrew, I've noticed the amount of balding old ladies here in Honkers and I've been hesitant to say anything. I do wonder if there's something in the water over here. Or maybe it's the diet.

On a positive note, it's been a while since I wrote this post and I seem to be still clinging onto a 'maybe'. If anything, I'm less worried about it now. Maybe writing about it just helped me get the anxiety out of my system. Or maybe I've just taken the old denial up a notch. Not sure.

I like your theory about a 'bald virus'. I'd like to think that's all it is. After all, so little is really known about baldness. Maybe you've just come up with a revolutionary new theory. Soon we'll all be popping down some antibiotics and whooshka, the hair is back in town, demoxonil-style.


« Asia Expats Ring » ? |