Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Allow me to introduce myself


Those of you who are bored or narcissistic enough will have already done it. If you haven't, I recommend you try it, for you never know what it will bring. What am I talking about, you ask? I'm talking about the age-old tradition of googling your own name.

This can be done either because you want to know if you've done anything great enough to make it onto a website, or to see what other people with your name are up to. I recommend the second option, because... well, let's face it; most of us probably haven't done enough to warrant a google search in our own honour. I haven't, anyway, but I know a little chap called Nicholas Oliver who has.

Nicholas Oliver is a train enthusiast. He's also a doctor, a pianist, a lawyer and, most impressively, a puppet cigarette called Nicholas Oliver Teen (Nic–O–Teen). If you don't believe me, click here. There's also a heart association lobbyist, a promising young American footballer and a possibly less promising dead guy from Michigan. My point is, there are a lot of people going around with my name (with the exception of the guy from Michigan) and doing a bunch of different things with it. Some great, some not so great and some totally random. It got me thinking about how much all of our little decisions effect everything.

If I kept playing piano, could I have made that my career? Or if I knuckled down, could I have been a doctor? Could I have painted myself white, set my head on fire and convinced kids to stop smoking? I don't know. But it's a bit of a laugh, anyway.

So who else are you?

4 comments:

Sarah and Mike said...

.. a teacher of able and gifted children, a nominee for Leo of the Year (Lions Club) in Tasmania (!) and a member of the South East U17 Rugby Squad in England.

A busy lady!

Anonymous said...

Ooohhh... apparently I wrote one novel in French - I'm an author, oui oui!! And make that LADY Catherine from now on!!

Anonymous said...

Ok so a major spin out I actually found myself when I googled me, there I was plain as day on the Casey ARC website and I had no idea I was there . . . weird.
I am also an Author and Motivational speaker, I am part of the Christ Prophetic Poetry Team, I am a Biochemist at the University of Pretoria, I am a Publisher and I work for the QLD government.

Nick said...

You've all been busy, haven't ya?


« Asia Expats Ring » ? |