Thursday, November 02, 2006

Asleep in One Hot Minute


Crap! I just wrote a whole post and accidentally deleted it. Flashbacks to uni assignments. Remember to save regularly, Nicky boy. You never listened to Ms McKay in high school, did you?

Now, I just want to quit and not write anything, but I'd better put something down now that I've gone to the trouble of googling an image of the Chili Peppers album. What's it there for, you ask? Well, it seemed more interesting before I had to retype it, but hey, if Gregory David Roberts can write a 900 page book from scratch three times, I guess I can whack down a couple of paragraphs.

Where was I? Oh yeah, I was suffering from a mild bout of insomnia recently and was wondering what might speed up the snoozy process. Beer? No, causes bad sleep and unwelcome middle of the night toilet trip. Less coffee during the day? No, I like coffee too much. Thinking, thinking... aha! The Chili Peppers!

I remembered how in Year 12 I used to come home from school, jump into bed, pull the CD player up next to my head and play the Red Hot Chili Peppers album, 'One Hot Minute' at full volume. I don't know why I did this (and continued to do it again and again) but it sent me straight to sleep every time. There was something very comfortable about it, and ever since, whenever I hear that album at a high volume, it sends me to the land of nods. With this in mind, I borrowed Naomi's iPod and pressed play.

Bliss. I was asleep before the end of 'Aeroplane'. I don't know what it is about that album that makes me snooze. Maybe the music puts my brain into a different, more relaxed state of consciousness, or maybe it brings back memories of my after school naps and nods off in remembrance. I don't know, but it's a handy little trick to know when the old brain won't switch off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i find it hard to believe you could sleep to 'one big mob'

Nick said...

One Big Mob? Ah yeah, ah yeah....

That one sends me to sleep straight in seconds.


« Asia Expats Ring » ? |