Monday, November 27, 2006

Monk


I love coincidence stories, especially ones to do with travel. I love hearing about how people bump into each other by chance, like when Rod Zlonzak and Glenny Rogers crossed paths in Rome, or when I was chatting to some clown in 'Cheers' at Malaysia airport and he used to babysit my boss at work. That kind of thing.

I also love 'brush with fame' stories. Ever since meeting Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan at the New York Deli in High St Armadale at the age of 7, I've been fascinated with these stories.

I have a story that mixes coincidence with fame, so I can't believe it has taken me so long to write about my meetings with Tony 'Monk' Shaloub. That's right... meetings. With an 's'. Plural. The big guy just won't leave me alone. The first one was at Mammoth Mountain, California, where I held the prestigious title of 'Ski Rental Guy'. Monk came in and got some skis. He didn't talk to me as such (or even look in my direction) but I knew right then and there that we had connected in a deep and profound way.

Cut to 2 years later and I'm on holidays in Barcelona with Azza, Leah and the garden Nome. We've just met up at the Hard Rock Cafe and were about to head down La Rambla when I was stopped in my tracks by Tony 'Monk' Shaloub, who was pretending to look at a map but really looking at me with his peripheral vision. After I stared for a while, he dropped the charade and stared straight at me with an ambiguous half smile. I took it as, "Hey, you're that guy from the ski shop in Mammoth Mountain. We keep bumping into each other. Weird. You're pretty awesome, you know that?", but it could also have been more of a "Take a picture, big nose, it'll last longer. Stalker."

This page is boring if nobody adds anything, so tell me about your brush with fame and/or coincidence story.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ran into Ebby Moore walking down the street in Amsterdam.

lalligirl said...

aviv was a treasure trove for brushes with fame - deborah conway, geoffrey rush, that chick that was in dirty deeds (not toni collette)can't remember her name, nick cave (my personal fav...he buys quiche everytime he comes in...)

and of course, i held onto to those kylie/jason autographed serviettes from the new york deli for a long time...(thanks nana for asking them when we were too starstruck!)

Anonymous said...

The strangest brush with fame that i can recall was running into the birthmark himself Mikhail Gorbachev at a pub in Port Douglas this year..

Anonymous said...

The best I've got is the "Don't Forget Your Toothbrush Guy" ....yep I'm struggling.

Anonymous said...

I bumped into Kevin Costner in a club in Boston when he was filming Field of Dreams. That was ages ago.... Earlier this year I encountered Mario Frangoulis (international multilingual singer)in Florida. I actually spoke to him and he was very gracious. My knees went weak both times. Of course, the first time it may have been Kevin's clumsy dancing. I danced next to him so I could stare at him, and we bumped elbows on a crowded dancefloor.


« Asia Expats Ring » ? |