Thursday, January 18, 2007

Thermal Underwear


Why am I slightly embarrassed to write about thermal underwear? Surely there's nothing wrong with it. The weather's cold, there's no heater - wearing a bit of the old thermal underwear is a sensible step. It may not be 'cool', but hey, neither am I.

This might be a bit hard to imagine to those of you back in Australia who are in the middle of a heat wave and fighting fires from Belgrave to Bendigo (or something), but I feel I have to address this important issue. People snigger when I tell them about my thermal undies and I want to know why. There are a few reasons I think people find it funny.

1. The name contains the word 'underwear'.
2. The alternative name is the similarly hilarious, 'Long Johns'.
3. They look stupid
4. People who don't wear them feel tough and like to call you a cold-feeling weakling.

Well, I won't accept any of these, for the follwing reasons.

1. Grow up.
2. See reason 1.
3. You wear normal clothes over the top of them
4. Shut up. I'm tougher than you.

I'm sick of it being a crime to feel the cold. Ever since high school, when Rod, Clint, Craig and I had competitions to see who could wear shorts on the coldest day, I've been ashamed of my tendency to get a little chilly. But no more. Today is the day I stand up and say in a big, bold voice, "I'm cold and I'm proud".

And to all you bigots out there who have a problem with that, you can kiss my toasty warm buttocks.

6 comments:

Sarah and Mike said...

Nick, it's funny coz it never gets below 10deg in Honkers! Ya big girl's blouse!

Nick said...

Yeah, but it's a cold 10 degrees!

lalligirl said...

sarah, don't tell me you've forgotten that hong kong has it's very own measure of cold...below 15 deg, it's officially cold (there's an extreme cold warning and all); if it's below 15 deg, and under 80% humidity, it's extremely cold, with a high fire danger...we must abide by the warnings and thermal underwear is one way we can do this...huge eiderdown ski jackets... and scarves... and gloves... and hats... and really teeny tiny short skirts (all worn while jogging bowen road) is another.

Sarah and Mike said...

hmm .. and it's the opposite here in Tokes where it's below 10deg most days and all the girls are wearing teeny tiny mini skirts, knee high boots and plunging necklines .... almost deserves it's own blog post really ....

Anonymous said...

Hey Honky Nick-
We need you as our spokesperson for thermal underwear! Keep spreading the word! Its not cool to be cold! Wear thermals, or long johns. :)
Jamie
www.outersports.com

Anonymous said...

Thermal underwear for women might be the next step :))


« Asia Expats Ring » ? |